The Foundation Stone, which can be seen on the left hand corner of the front of the building, was laid on the 9th July 1931, with full pomp and ceremony. The stone itself was laid by Councillor Arthur Cargill and the invited guests were brought up to the site for the ceremony then returned to Birkenhead Town Hall for refreshments.
At the time, the development of Birkenhead was divided into three areas: Birkenhead North, Birkenhead Central (sound familiar?) and Birkenhead South. Byrne Avenue was to be the site of the Birkenhead South Baths.
The following extract is taken from the Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony programme.